AstraVanMan

Anyone part-exchanging a car for a guaranteed £1000 is getting
monumentally ripped off in the price of the car they're buying.

I was buying new so yes that £1000 would have fallen off the value the
moment I put the key in the lock and opened the door. But that applies
to all new cars, some drop *a lot* more a grand at that point.

Yes, true - read below.

The price of what I was buying was reasonable, I could probably have
haggled another few hundred quid off it but I very much doubt a £1000.

Unless it was something particularly rare or desirable, then the chances are
you probably could have done. And judging by the fact that the dealer was
offering a "guaranteed grand" for trading in any old shed, I'd wager that it
wasn't anything particularly rare or desirable.

--
Peter