Mary Fisher

"Stuffed" wrote in message

How about if I shred a Rembrant, or take a chisel to the odd statue or
two?

never likely to see them again - and prints are no substitute (I used to
think they were until I saw them in the flesh, as it were).

So you don't have any single item of non organic beauty you would be upset
about someone damaging without a second thought?

I don't think I do.

But you're talking about one-offs there, unique items, not mass produced
ones. They can't be reproduced 100%, a car door can. A clock can, a ring
can. Sentimental value is meaningless, if an identical item was

substituted
for the clock or ring I doubt that it would be noticed.

A car can be replaced with another car, but not that car, with the same
settled in mechanicals, seats, engine, memories, etc. In fact, unless
you're
driving something fairly new and common, you're going to struggle to get
anything near identical. I'd say the same about most things really. What
you're really saying is things can be replaced with others that will do a
similar or possibly identical job, which is very different.

Whatever turns you on.

I still firmly believe that people are more important.

I happen to drive a slowly

appreciating
classic.

We've done that, been there, they aren't as efficient as the car we drive
today. They caused more damage through pollution (to humans), were less
efficient and didn't have the carrying capacity we need.

Do you really want to start the new v old car pollution debate?

No ...

My car was
made 25 years ago, and in that time has covered around 75 thousand miles.
It
has had very little major work, mainly using the consumables as any other
car would. It's main polluting effect, being the resources used to produce
it, has been offset by it remaining in use, so preventing a whole new load
of pollution to be released to provide a new car. By not being scrapped in
favour of a newer car, it has also not created the environmental nightmare
of disposing of the plastics and other nasties.

.... but apparently you do :-)

But you might be interested in a long run of Practical Classics (from No

1)
we have cluttering the house. You probably already have them, if not

they're
yours for the carriage or collection.

I used to read it, but I found it concentrated on the mainstream quaint
small cars and exotic luxury cars too much as time went on. And I'm sure
in
recent years it's started having some decidedly not yet ready to be
classics
as features. So the offer's tempting, but the postage would be silly
amounts
for not much worth reading really

There aren't any for the last few years so you've probably read and already
know everything in what we have.

If it's a genuine offer, I might ask around if anyone I know's interested,
they might appreciate it.

I don't say things I don't mean.

Have you never been careless? Have you never - in your whole life -
caused
any damage to others' possessions or themselves, whether maliciously or

not?

Of course I have. Unlike many, I've even noticed I've done it, and tried
rectify it. I am not against people making mistakes, we all do. I'm
against
them not taking any responsibility for them when pointed out.

So it's the responsibility aspect and not the damage to a precious
possession. I see.

You've been saying things are meaningless. I've not been saying we
shouldn't
give a damn about people (I'm sure there's at least a handful worth
bothering with somewhere), I'm saying people should give a damn about
other
people, as much as they expect me to give a damn about them. I grow tired
of
the arguments that everybody's free to do as they wish, so long as what
they
wish is what the person dishing out the freedom wants.

I don't say that, I've never said that, I don't believe that.

I can't possibly comment on this without sounding like an utter
*******,
so
I won't!

Says it all, really ...

It's an art, one I have yet to quite perfect though.

You could learn from me :-)

Mary