AstraVanMan

Why shouldn't they? People enjoy newer cars, people enjoy having the
newer advances in technology. Why wait until the car dies (which could
be 10 years+), before buying a different car?

LOL! And making someone else have something not good enough for you?

If they're happy with what they're buying, and they've be honestly told
exactly what it is they're getting, then where's the problem? No-one's
forced at gunpoint to buy anything - if they choose to buy a 10-15 year old
car, knowing exactly what it is and what small faults it has, then that's
their choice. As it is their choice as to exactly what they pay for it - if
they can't buy it at a price that's acceptable to them, then they won't buy
it. Simple really.

I said that if he was as hard up as that I'd pay him for the repair
and gave him a cheque there and then.

I hope he took you up on the offer.

I didn't wait for him to take up the offer.

Why not? If you damaged someone else's property, then it's only fair that
you pay for that damage.

It's not a case of how hard up a
person is, it's about you damaging their property which costs them to
have it fixed.

But I doubt that he had the 'damage' fixed.

Then he's been compensated for the fact that his car is still damaged, and
hence worth slightly less.

--
Peter