Bruce L. Bergman

On Fri, 20 May 2005 19:51:13 -0700, Roger Hull
wrote:

Las Vegas 28 years now and former steam boiler operator. LOTS of Calcium in
our water. IMHO the bleed method is much better than the dump method. Also, I
quit using the Aspen pads eight years ago and now use the plastic foam ones
(Buy a roll and cut to size). They last two seasons (for me). Also went to a
fiberglass/resin cooler. Won't ever rust out and the scale doesn't stick as
much as metal. Idea I haven't tried yet would put water sump, pump, and float
valve somewhere where you didn't have to climb onto roof to service; hose
from pump to cooler and return drain hose to sump. Would really help with
rust-out as that occurs at waterline. besides then only motor, belt, fan, and
pads would require going up on roof. Hope this helps.

I would not buy one of the plastic coolers - I'm told VERY nasty
things happen if they catch fire... 8-O

I worked on an all-Stainless downdraft swamper once (everything but
the blower wheel) and tried to track down a few for myself. But they
were only made for a short time, before they realized they were
cutting their own throat by selling people a lifetime cooler. Much
better for the manufacturers that they rust out every few years.

L.A. City tap water is pretty decent, we just drain the cooler
manually a few times through the season and that's the end of it.

We've been running swampers for decades on our houses, and laughing
at the neighbors chewing up electricity by the ton while we just spin
a couple of half-horse blowers...

But the Valley is finally getting too humid for them to be effective
on the really bad days. The 5-ton split system goes in at the end of
the month - for the bad days. Spring and fall, I'm leaving one
swamper in service.

-- Bruce --

Electrician for Westend Electric - CA726700
5737 Kanan Rd. #359, Agoura CA 91301 (818) 889-9545