JR North

I have a Lortone QT12 12lb tumbler. The barrel is about 8"X 8". Don't
use it for rocks...
anyway, the less-than-totally-forthcoming motor plate says 115V .86A
JR
Dweller in the cellar

Christopher Tidy wrote:
Hi,

I'm trying to work out how much power I need to turn a rock tumbler
barrel, or more precisely how large a barrel I can turn with a
particular motor. I have a nice little shaded pole induction motor which
is rated at 30 W and runs at 1425 rpm (probably the full load speed is
somewhat lower). Does anyone own a small professional tumbler? If so I'd
be very grateful to know the information on the motor data plate, the
barrel capacity and barrel diameter. The Thumler Model B tumbler looks
to use a motor similar to mine and has a 15 lb capacity, but I can't
find an official figure for the motor rating anywhere. I was thinking of
perhaps two 1.5 lb barrels or two 2.25 kg barrels, depending on cost and
availability. The rubber barrels seem very expensive (£30 upwards for a
6"). Anyone know why or where I might get them cheaper in the UK?

There's a picture of my motor he
http://www.mythic-beasts.com/~cdt22/...pole_motor.jpg

Ignoramus, let me know how your project goes. I'm planning on building a
nice desktop model rather than a hardcore redneck model (not enough
space in the shed!) but I'd be interested to share experiences and
pictures.

Many thanks,

Chris

Dependence is Vulnerability: