Mary Fisher

"Stuffed" wrote in message

Fair nuff, you don't worry about someone carelessly breaking your
property,
and you don't assign value to objects. But try and think of others that
do.
(OK, you probably do, but a lot of people only worry about not damaging
their own things, and couldn't care less what they do to others items)

How about if I shred a Rembrant, or take a chisel to the odd statue or
two?

It's been done.

They're only things, I'm sure people wouldn't really miss them.

Would you? While Rembrandt painted some of the pictures which have given me
most pleasure I doubt that I would really miss them if that happened. If he
hadn't painted them I wouldn't have known about them in the first place. I'm
never likely to see them again - and prints are no substitute (I used to
think they were until I saw them in the flesh, as it were).

But you're talking about one-offs there, unique items, not mass produced
ones. They can't be reproduced 100%, a car door can. A clock can, a ring
can. Sentimental value is meaningless, if an identical item was substituted
for the clock or ring I doubt that it would be noticed.

I still firmly believe that people are more important.

And will you have the repair done or just pocket the cash with a smirk?

Yes, I would have the repair done. I happen to drive a slowly appreciating
classic.

We've done that, been there, they aren't as efficient as the car we drive
today. They caused more damage through pollution (to humans), were less
efficient and didn't have the carrying capacity we need.

But you might be interested in a long run of Practical Classics (from No 1)
we have cluttering the house. You probably already have them, if not they're
yours for the carriage or collection.

It's not in good condition, but I'm doing my best to improve it.
I'd rather not have my hard work ruined by someone who can't be bothered
show a little more care.

Have you never been careless? Have you never - in your whole life - caused
any damage to others' possessions or themselves, whether maliciously or not?

Look, people are more important than things.We should love people and use
things, not use people and love things.

More important, yes (usually). But that's a reletive, it doesn't mean that
things are without any importance whatsoever, does it?

The second sentence is the important one.

I once reversed into a very low bollard and dented the rear bumper on our
car. It had no effect whatsoever on any of the functions of the car - to

go,
stop and carry things. It didn't even have an effect on the subsequent
MOT
test.

I've done the same, but it's my property, and my stupidity. If I reversed
into someone elses car, or borrowed a car and reversed into a bollard, I
would expect to have to pay for the repairs.

You'd leave a note with your contact details I suppose.

What upset me was that when I went indoors and dramatically told Spouse

that
I'd crashed into something his response was to ask how much damage there

was
to the car, he didn't ask if I was injured.

I can't possibly comment on this without sounding like an utter *******,
so
I won't!

Says it all, really ...