Conor

In article . 170,
Adrian says...
Conor ) gurgled happily, sounding much like they
were saying :

If not their child, what relationship *are* you to your parents?

Son, daughter?

and non-gender-specifically...?

No idea. Know any non gender human beings?

If the supermarkets don't say what they mean on the signs, how are we
to know what they mean?

A "child" is a person under 18.

That's one definition of the word, but not the only one.

http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=child
You might like to check up on definition 4.

Perhaps the supermarkets should clarify?

Perhaps people should stop confirming their stupidity and exercise
common sense. There's always an accompanying picture to the signage
either clearly showing a pram or an adult and child".

--
Conor

"Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most." O.Osbourne.