IMM

Default Central heating using radiators in an open plan house with high ceilings

"Dermot O'Loughlin" wrote in message
om...
Hi All,

I would like your opinion on using radiators in an open plan house
(new build) with high ceilings. My hall, living room, kitchen and
dining area are all open plan with the living area and hall having
high ceilings (about 6 meters high). I plan on using a combination of
oil and solid fuel (using a range or wood burner in the kitchen).

Will I have a problem heating the large open areas using radiators?

Will the heat just go straight to the ceiling? A friend mentioned
using ceiling fans to counteract this - would this be possible?

I would appreciate your thoughts on this.

Underfloor heating is ideal in this situation, but expensive. Whether using
rads or UFH the downward acting fan will make a difference. Have the fan on
a thermostat that can be overridden, so it only turns when there is heat up
there.

It may be worth your while to insert a duct (embedded in the wall in new
build), with a small integral fan activated by a thermostat located at high
level. This will take any heat up there down to floor level. When it is
cool up there the stat holds the fan off, just as in the ceiling fan. The
duct with a few grills will be unobtrusive, unlike the ceiling fan.

Make sure the house is "well" insulated. Is it a barn? Pack the stuff in,
as thick as possible, at every opportunity.