Ken Moon

"Walt Cheever" wrote in message
news:T7aje.8370$z_.4607@attbi_s71...
My son brought home a Central Machinery Lathe from a yard sale. (He
didn't ask my advice, so I claim no responsibility.)

As I understand it, the drive center is threaded onto the shaft of the
lathe (3/4" 10 tpi if I read the manual right), and there is no Morse
taper available. I've been looking to see if there are any other drive
centers available (2 prong, smooth etc) that are threaded on, but haven't
found any.

Anyone got any hints, guesses or experience in this direction?

======================
Walt,
It sounds like he may have bought one of their bottom of the line lathes. If
it is the one I think it might be, it's a 40in sheet metal contraption with
a minium speed over 1100 RPM. The new price on those on sale is well under
$100. I wouldn't go so far as to say it is dangerous, but safety precautions
are in order if you try to mount any thing near it's rotational capacity and
is unbalanced. Give us a model number, or go to Harbor Freight Tools web
site and use the keyword "lathe" to see if you can find it.
Good luck!

Ken Moon
Webberville, TX.