Gunner

On Fri, 20 May 2005 16:19:37 -0700, "SteveB"
wrote:

Ahhhhhhhhh. Living in the desert ............. it's 105 today.

My swamp cooler was making odd noises, so I checked it. The pump was
wearing out and making wierd noises.

Went to Homer's and got another. While there, I encountered a water dumper
that exchanges the water after eight hours of running time.

I believe that this cooler uses softened water, because at the beginning of
each season, it looks like Carlsbad Caverns inside. This exchanger touts
that it will make everything run better, and keep the deposits down. It
also claims that it will save water, which I find hard to believe, since it
dumps all the water after eight hours of use.

Long story short, I got one, and am going to try it on one of my swampers.
I have two. Anyone have any experience with these?

They are spendy, coming in at $48 per.

Advice and anecdotes appreciated. Puhleeeeeze, only desert rats that know
what a swamp cooler is need reply.

Steve

I use a simple t connection off the pump, with a 1/4" line running out
of the cooler over to a stainless steel box, that my cats drink from
in the summer time. It helps to bleed off the water, giving a regular
change, keeping the accumulated Spooge from hard water down to
managable levels. A couple times a each summer, I dump a pool
clorine tab in. This helps keep moss and other nasties from growing.

My MasterCool 6500 single pad has been running off and on for the past
month or so. I had to rebuild the motor bracket, and replace a bearing
and belt a couple weeks ago. Its only 20 yrs old, so I was a bit
surprised it needed maint.

Gunner

"Considering the events of recent years,
the world has a long way to go to regain
its credibility and reputation with the US."
unknown