SteveB

"Wood Butcher" wrote in message
I spent 29 years in Tucson.
So I guess I'm qualified as a desert rat.

I used a bleeder kit (~$5). There's a "T" fitting which you put
in the tube between the pump and the spider. Most of the water
flows straight thru. Out the side of the T is a small connection for
a 1/8"(?) tube. This small tube runs out the overflow and the end
just gets stuffed into any stack pipe for the plumbing. A cheap
sheet metal pinch clamp adjusts the flow rate in the small discharge
tube.
This worked great and kept the build up of calcium to a minimum.

I wondered what that T was for. So, it just kicks out some of the
mineralized water, and keeps the tank full with relatively fresh water that
keeps getting diluted with more fresh water?

BTW, yes, the Carlsbad Caverns formations are easy to remove. Lots easier
than the regular scale.

Steve