Julie P.

"Tony Hwang" wrote in message
news:7yBee.1239093$6l.422744@pd7tw2no...
Julie P. wrote:

The electrical wiring in my house is not grounded, although all the
outlets are three prong. I have a lot of equipment like air conditioners,
fax machines, printers, computers, routers, etc. What would be the
easiest way to ground one or two of my outlets?

Can I string a wire over the grounding prong on the surge protector plug
and then run the wire out of my windows to the ground and then impale the
ground with a coat hanger attached to the wire?

Or can I just wrap the wire around the painted radiator pipe which runs
to the upstairs tenant's radiator? This is close to the outlets.

Thanks!

Hi,
I won't live in a place like that.

What would you do though if you were looking at houses to rent? Pull out a
receptacle at each one you visit to see if it is grounded?

But as long as you know it, wrapping is not enough, you need a clamp type
ground connector. Sure the radiator is grounded?

I am not sure, that is why I was asking. If I get ambitious I will simply
run a ground wire form the receptacle to the neutral bus bar on the panel.
But I do not want to do something where it takes too much time since it is
not my house and it would only be a temporary set up (there is no way I
would improve the house and then just leave it after I move out). If I
happen to add another circuit or two for my office, I could just add the
ground wires then.

Must be VERY old building. Ever heard of ground loop which may create more
problem than not having ground at all.
As long as you know.
Safety always first.
Tony

Thanks Tony. It was built in the 1800's.

J.