Paul Mc Cann

Default Cleaning brass fireguard

On Tue, 12 Aug 2003 23:40:46 -0400, CJ
wrote:

Paul Mc Cann wrote:

On Mon, 11 Aug 2003 08:28:44 -0400, "Chris Harris"
wrote:

hi,

I've been given an old brass fireguard, which I want to use as fireguard
and not an ornament. It's been in a shed for years and is in a mess
covered in dust and grime.

What is the best way to clean it? It's beyond a quick rub with Brasso

Bearing in mind that it's going to be used as a fireguard, and will
therefore get hot, what will prevent it tarnishing too quickly?

I would like to acheive a finish that is not highly polished, just old and
clean looking.

It is constructed from top and bottom rails, with steel ( I think, but may
be brass too) rod uprights threaded on each end, the nuts are brass knobs
small on the top (about 10mm diameter) and larger on the bottom acting as
feet (about 30mm diameter). The mesh is fastened to the uprights with
twisted wire.

A couple of the small knobs are missing; anybody know where I could get a
couple of replacements? I'd make them but don't have access to a lathe.

Chris

Do a google search on brass cleaning. You will be surprised at the
amount of info you will turn up

Did that; lots of stuff on polishing with brasso, boiled linseed etc..,which
would be good for a door knocker or something small, but nothing that
pointed me in the direction of a magic solution or solution :-)

Strange.

I did this some time back and turned all sorts of esoterica including
walnut shell as I recall.

Lots of the sites seemed to be aimed at the gun-toting (Merkin)
community and the care of brass shell cases

Paul Mc Cann