Grunff

Default Moving consumer unit - extending cables (again!)

Martin Angove wrote:

My own problem with the Screwfix and B&Q ones isn't usually space
(though I do tend to use 20A 4-terminal boxes on lighting circuits
rather than the 5A variety), it's the design of the terminal itself.
Particularly on the 30A 3-t jobbies the U-shaped brass insert into a
plastic moulding looks good, but if you get a wire in slightly skewiff
or apply slightly too much pressure on the grub screw it is very easy to
crack the plastic leading to a loose connection and hence a scrap JB.

Yup, had that many times.

I'd appreciate any ideas too, though of course the Screwfix boxes are so
cheap it hardly matters if you lose one or two every now and again.

But what would worry me is using a junction that's this marginal in a
concealed location.

I have to say, I still really like terminal blocks (chock blocks). For
this type of application, the 30A ceramic ones from SF are great. They
have the added advantage of having two screws per connection, so if you
overlap the cables, there's very little chance of failure. You just have
to come up with a good enclosure.

--
Grunff