Peter Parry

On Fri, 20 May 2005 01:48:31 GMT, "BigWallop"
wrote:

Yes, I remember well the SUSS laws, and I
still thought they were a good thing. Even after being stopped and asked who
and what I was on numerous occasions. But an ID card would have help in those
situations.

How? You get stopped the first time for whatever suspicion the
police may have. They find nothing but a marker goes on your record
showing you have been stopped. Next time, another marker. Next time
its down to the nick and a very close examination - after all with
your record of being stopped there must be something, no smoke
without fire is there?

Showing a valid card would have allowed the police to ID me in a
couple of minutes,

Indeed, as a suspicious character. A crime happens near your home -
a child vanishes. You have a record of having been stopped a number
of times so the police pop around for a chat. The neighbours see a
marked car outside your door - does you no harm does it?

All this is actually being used now in certain places,

There is nowhere else in the world where such a draconian system as
being proposed for the UK is in use or even contemplated.

--
Peter Parry.
http://www.wpp.ltd.uk/