Paul Mc Cann

Default AA Lithium batteries

On 13 Aug 2003 07:54:06 -0700, (David)
wrote:

"Mary Fisher" wrote in message et...

To my environmental shame, I've given up on NiMH for my digital camera,

So have I, again to my shame, because they simply didn't last long enough.

I don't use the display unless I have to.

I think that's a very important point. The display eats power.

I'm really surprised at this actually... I've run my camera (Canon
Powershot A40) on NiMhs ever since I bought it. I always carry a
spare set (4) of charged cells around, and never worry about how long
the display is on for or how much I use the camera; if I have to
change the cells during the day I can always guarantee there'll be
more than enough juice available from the second set to last till I
can get back to my charger that evening. (Only problem comes when I
find the kids have raided my AA's to power their GameBoys again! cue
sense-of-humour failure from pa...)

I guess it depends on how much you use the camera during the day,
whether it auto-powers down (mine does), etc etc - but to be honest
I've never felt that alkalines lasted any longer than a set of freshly
charged NiMHs.

David

I've just switched from Minolta Dimage 7i which has a reputation of
being a battery eater. (Not really justified IMHO) I used a variety of
NiMh and fast Ansmann charger and had no problems.

I've never had a digital camera yet that didn't require a spare
battery. Rarely did I have to use a 3rd set with the Dimage.

The current camera, a Canon EOS 10d came with a Li-ion battery which
far out lasts the NiMhs in the Minolta. Though I still carry a spare,
one fully charged battery will easily do me for a days shooting if not
more.

I got the spare one from Germany via ebay. It was very reasonably
priced compared to the pukka Canon job.

Paul Mc Cann