Lex

Default NAD CD problem.

I've got a real head-scratcher. I've got an older NAD 5340 cdplayer
that aside from a little more hunting and tracking than newer cd
players it has a great sound EXCEPT for a few select cds.

On some cdroms (Peter Gabriel's 'Shaking the Tree' for instance) the
sound makes me think the DAC is losing it's place or something because
the sound is almost scratchy. (didn't think that was possible with a
cdrom drive) The disc is in GREAT shape with no visible scratches.

Now here is where things get weird, when I copy the cd and play the
copy, it sounds fantastic. (confused enough already?)

I downloaded a repair guide (for the 5420 and 5425) but there is
nothing that even mentions 'scratchy sound'.

The only things I can think of is that either the laser is going
(wouldn't explain why CDRs work though) or a combination of a worn
transport with an unbalanced disc?

cheers
antony