Bill Thomas

dadiOH wrote:

Bill Thomas wrote:

Greetings,

The kitchen I work in has about 50 knives used for different
things. When stored, they currently go into either a metal
gallon coffee can or a rack made of metal with slots cut in it.
The sharpenings of the knives do not last long because of
these storage methods.

Does anyone have any plans for a 50 knife storage rack
that can fit under a wall cabinet,
handles different lengths and widths of knives,
allows quick storage of damp knives from the dishwasher, without
special efforts to sort them (i.e. any slot can hold any knife)?

Not hard to make but it will require some room...minimum of 1 1/4"
center to center for each knife - 1 1/2" is better - which means it is
going to be close to six feet long. Gotta have enough room for the
handles PLUS sufficient space on each side to grab the handle.

That said, here's a way to do it.

1. Start with a piece of wood (ply is OK) at least 1/2" thick X as wide
as the longest knife is long X as long as necessary to accomodate all 50
plus the finger space necessary on each side.

2. To that, glue another piece of wood...same length but only as wide as
the longest knife *blade*. It needs to be as thick as the widest blade
is wide plus about 3/8".

3. Rip slots in the second piece (after glued to #1) the full depth as
piece #2. The slot spacing should be not less than 1 1/4", more is
better.

4. Make a bunch of splines the thickness of the rip kerfs and 1/4" wide.
Glue them into the kerfs so they are flush. They don't have to be quite
as long as the kerf - easier to insert knives if they aren't - but they
need to be long enough to retain the shortest knife if the rack is not
mounted horizontally.

All finished. The #1 piece supports the knives. It can be cut a bit
narrower so that the knife handles project a bit; however, not *too*
much narrower else knives with narrow blades will tip to the point that
the splines won't keep them from falling. Not a lot of depth under wall
cabinets but the rack can be mounted at an angle (knife tips down)
without the knives falling as the splines keep them from doing so.

If you could segregate short, narrow bladed knives from the longer,
wider ones you would be able to condense the overall width of the rack
considerably by using the space between the long, wide blades for
smaller knives (two tiers). I have a rack like that in a kitchen
drawer...it is 15" wide and holds 22 knives including two cleavers.

--
dadiOH

dadiOH's dandies v3.06...

Greetings,

Thanks Dadio. This design solves the problem that has vexed me,
"How to keep the narrow blade knives from tipping out of their slots."
I think I might make the rack multiple tiers to reduce the length.
Any reason to not glue a 1/4 inch board across the kerf side of the
of #2 rather than individual splines for each slot?

Sincerely,
Bill Thoms