Derek Hartzell

Default Time for a Glaser

I am considering getting a 5/8" Glaser gouge in M4 steel (the lowest of his
3 grades). Anyone noticed that much difference to pay $160 for the V15 or
$135 for the A11 versus only $95 for the M4? I have a 1 hp variable speed
motor and with my 1/2" Crown PM gouge I see a big benefit to sharpening 4+
times on a 12" bowl. I lose cut width if I don't keep it "real sharp". If
I had a 3 hp motor and could plow through the wood, "not bad" would probably
be sharp enough and then maybe the higher grades would keep the edge "not
bad" for longer.

Thoughts?

Derek