Greg G

On Fri, 06 May 2005 00:44:08 GMT, "World Traveler"
wrote:

wrote in message
Here's to the guy at the despot today that

a) opened up a new case of 20A GFCI outlets for me

b) showed me how these boxes with the flip up and down wings that snug up
against existing drywall are intended to be used (never seen em before)

c) gave me 2 feet each of 12 gauge solid copper black, white, and green
wire
for free. (needed to make some pigtails) Looked both ways and said put
this in your pocket.

an older guy who even though he just happened to be walking through
electrical when I asked him for help had enough of a clue to get me what I
needed.

we're not doomed quite yet
ml

I guess that makes up for the young new floor worker who I asked for help in
finding a nail set.
He gave me a derisive look and said, "Sir, they don't come in sets, you have
to buy them by the pound."

I have often wondered if the decline in what HD likes to call the
"Wisdom of the Aisles" is partially due to the surge in real estate
activity in the last few years. It seems that people have decided that
the only thing worth investing in is real estate. As a result there is
construction going on on every patch of open ground, demolition of old
houses to make room for more new ones and expansion and renovation of
existing houses.

I have always assumed that when you find an experienced tradesman
working at HD it's probably because there aren't enough construction
jobs to go around. With the boom that I see, at least around here
(NYC), fewer skilled people are looking for work at HD.

Greg Guarino