Patriarch

"George" george@least wrote in :

"Patriarch" wrote in message
. 97.136...

Do you have a friend with a lathe? Often turners will trade good
seasoned firewood for good, but green, turning wood. For example,
oak burns well, and turns rather poorly.

Huh? Guess it depends on how you prepare it for firewood - stays wet
in 4' lengths for two or three seasons. Hard maple's dry in one.

Here in California, it's cut to 18"-24" right away, and split, generally
with a power splitter.

Turns beautifully, as well. Got a large amount in my firewood three
years back, and the bowls have sold _very_ well. Wish I'd made more
than a hundred.

A small amount of our oak is usable for furniture. Very wild, course
grain. "Oak" certainly covers a wide range of woods, though.

Traded a face cord of maple for 6 veneer trims recently. 11 out of
the 12 possibles - bark pocket in the other - worked up to bowls in
the 14-16" range. He didn't have to split, and what I gave him kept
the chill off this spring, where what I took was still damp.

Patriarch