Gunner

On Thu, 19 May 2005 18:22:32 GMT, "Leo Lichtman"
wrote:

"Grant Erwin" wrote: (clip) Anyone know what this tool is, and what craft
uses it? (clip)
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Yep. The answer is right on it. It's a Yankee screwdriver. If the toolset
in the handle were complete, it would include a couple of screwdriver bits,
along with the drill bits. It supposedly would be used by people in the
wood crafts, like carpenters and cabinet makers. I have seen them in
collections, tool sales and flea markets, but I have never known of one
actually being used. As a screwdriver it's not too good, because the bit
tends to slip out of the slot as it spins, and when it does, the rest of the
stroke drives it into the wood.

I inherited several from my dad as well. One was a spring loaded drill
only, with bit storage in the handle. The other was screwdriver only.
The drill worked rather well on wood.

Never ever hold the work in your hand when using the screwdriver
one...you will leak all over the place and it really hurts...

Sigh..I learned that when I was 11.

Gunner

for torturing the cat." Gunner