Tim Mitchell

In article , "Dave Plowman (News)"
writes
In article ,
kaboom wrote:
Those burnt discs are probably in PAL. There are several cheapish DVD
players here in the US that can be region hacked with the remote and
can also convert PAL to NTSC on the fly. Two of them that I can think
of offhand are the Philips 642 and the Magnavox 458/17. I bought both
of them onsale, the Philips was $56 and the Magnavox $35.

DVDs don't use either PAL or NTSC. Those are both coding systems for
analogue video. Talk instead about field and frame rates.

Whilst that is technically true, and it annoys me too, commercial DVDs
are sold labelled as NTSC (=60Hz field rate) or PAL (=50Hz field rate),
so it looks like that misnomer is here to stay.
--
Tim Mitchell