Mary Fisher

"Kieran Mansley" wrote in message
news
On Thu, 19 May 2005 11:37:15 +0100, Mary Fisher wrote:

I think it was last year when there was a thread about this and we
intended
following the advice but didn't get round to it - story of my life!
Trouble
is, since we'd determined to buy a new one we gve a son the old one. It
worked well but was noisy.

Models might well have changed now - has anyone any ideas please?

I'd like one which will deal with branches up to 1" (25mm) thick -
easily -
and which isn't too bulky and is relatively quiet.

Our local parish council has a community-owned shredder. As it's
something most people don't use very often but which helps cut down on
over-flowing bins and avoids a lot of garden bonfires, it was (I
presume) deemed to be something that would give some benefit to the
community. It means that we can use a much more substantial piece of
machinery than we would otherwise be able to justify buying. It might be
that there is something similar where you live, or if not, you might like
to consider trying to arrange the same. As far as I know, it works very
well here.

Thanks, Kieran, we've always served as a resource centre for the family and
community. It makes absolute sense.

I just wish that others would compost. Mrs Next Door won't but puts all her
lawn mowings into bags and gives them to me. The chap on the other side has
a gardener who takes away all the waste, no doubt for his own compost. Most
just dump stuff in their bins and refuse to give it away, they say they pay
for the service ... :-(

Mary

Kieran