Walt Cheever

I'd try clear finish on the natural face first, maybe 2 coats. Sort of
blotted on. Shellac?

Then stain the other 5 sides. Any overrun on the stain can be wiped off
before it penetrates the finish.

Then clear finish on all six sides? (What are you gonna set it on while it
dries?)

It's still going to be difficult to get a sharp corner where the finishes
change. You may have to sand the small overrun of clear finish off the
faces to be stained.

"Ace" wrote in message
I have made some one inch hard maple cubes and would like to finish one
face natural,
and finish the remaining surfaces with a dark stain.

Have about a hundred, and am looking for suggestions on how to keep the
dark stain
off the face I want to do natural.

Thanks in advance,
Ace

Unrelated, but maybe a tip? Working in garage with exterior entry door I
frequently open
for ventilation. It would blow shut a lot of times and 'scare' me.

Mounted a 1x2 by about 16 inches long about head height to the door using
small hinge.
Had drilled three holes at various spacing veritcally through which I
place a wooden
dowel into part of a simple door bolt mounted to door jam.

No more doors slamming shut, and when not in use, simply hinge out of way
and pass
the dowel through an eye hook screwed into door face.