Barry N. Turner

I guess I should have thought of that. Would Deft work as a sealer? Maybe
I should have used Deft in the first place. I haven't had a problem in the
past. Thanks.

Barry

"George" george@least wrote in message

"Barry N. Turner" wrote in message
news
I just turned a natural edge bowl from a piece of red cedar. I wiped on

coat of Minwax poly........then wiped off the excess. I let it dry
overnight. No problem. I sanded lightly with 320, then sprayed a

couple
of
light coats of the same finish. Its been at least 8 hours and its still
tacky. What gives? Is the oil in the wood preventing it from drying
properly? The humidity has been a bit high today. Maybe that's it.
Thanks.

Western red, or eastern? Eastern has a lot more resin and oil in it. You
normally want to use a sealer like shellac or lacquer to keep the oils
(turps!) and resins from lifting your finish. Warm and dry may do for it,
but next time seal first with one of the two I mentioned.