DoN. Nichols

In article ,
Leo Lichtman wrote:

"Grant Erwin" wrote: (clip) Anyone know what this tool is, and what craft
uses it? (clip)
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Yep. The answer is right on it. It's a Yankee screwdriver. If the toolset
in the handle were complete, it would include a couple of screwdriver bits,
along with the drill bits. It supposedly would be used by people in the
wood crafts, like carpenters and cabinet makers. I have seen them in
collections, tool sales and flea markets, but I have never known of one
actually being used.

The first one that I saw was in about the second grade, in a
small town in South Texas (about 1948-1949). It was being used to
install a replacement mortice door latch assembly, and he used it both
to drill the pilot holes and to drive the screw. That was when I
decided that I wanted one.

I have a set now, *much* later, from an estate sale.

As a screwdriver it's not too good, because the bit
tends to slip out of the slot as it spins, and when it does, the rest of the
stroke drives it into the wood.

That depends on how you use it. The knurled collar which you
pull back to release the bit is free to turn on the shaft, so you can
hold the collar (near the screwdriver blade) to steady it. This makes
it a lot better than some of the electric screwdrivers in terms of
anti-gouge control.

Enjoy,
DoN.

--
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564