Tom

Harold and Susan Vordos wrote:

"Tom" wrote in message
snip----

Harold, what's this I hear you're reluctant to put Colchester bearings
in your Graziano? :-) Graziano thought they were good enough..

Tom

Chuckle! Not really reluctant. Just too poor. Mind you, I have no
quarrel with Gamet bearings (which is what Colchester used). This old
retired dude is looking for something more affordable, but I wouldn't
hesitate to buy the Gamet variety if all else fails. The original
bearings served me well----and owe me nothing. They're still very
serviceable, but I'd like to eliminate the .0002" runout that I didn't used
to have. Many think it's no big deal, and I can't argue with them, but
when you know it can be better, it's hard to ignore.

The number of jobs I ran with only a couple tenths tolerance are hard to
forget. I've always considered myself a good lathe hand, but not good
enough to work without a tolerance! :-)

Larry Jaques suggested I'd have a hard time putting anything on Mars with
that much runout. If I can't trust Larry, who can I trust? g

Harold

It's like owning a Ferrari, generic parts don't exist,
so one has to suck up the damage to one's wallet. :-(
BTW, Colchester use Gamet bearings because they own them.
They don't come cheap for Colchesters either.

Tom