Tom Gardner

"Tom Gardner" wrote in message
snip----

But, I certainly love my Quincys!!! I wish I had other no-brainers.

Yep! Of all the machinery I've ever owned, I can't think of one other
that
has been so reliable and trouble free. They truly are a nice piece of
equipment. Here, in timber country, the skidders are pretty much all
equipped with one of the 10 horse heads. If you've ever seen how such
equipment is used, you'd likely understand that a piece of junk wouldn't
last a day.

Mine has the old type oil pump, which apparently had given some trouble.
know that's one of the things they changed with later models. I've never
had the slightest problem even with that.

I have a distinct advantage as compared to you. Regardless of the quality
of employees, once you have a herd of people using equipment, things have
way of degrading. I'm not surprised you have so much leakage, and I'm
not
implying that it's intentional. When you're the only person using the
service, it's immediately apparent when there's the slightest problem and
you can deal with it.

I'm not convinced new fittings would solve the problem. Have you given
any
thought to changing the nature of the seals? Maybe something softer, so
it
takes less effort for them to seat? Also, are your lines iron? Rusty?
violated all the rules and installed 1/2" PVC pipe after experiencing
rusty
iron pipe, but before you jump to conclusions, understand that virtually
100% of them are cast in concrete, where they can't explode violently.
The
system has worked beautifully so far, to which I attribute my dry air.
Any
oil could change that in a hurry. I realize you can't use PVC, but
getting away from iron is a great idea, assuming you're using it. Had I
not been placing my pipe in concrete, I'd have used copper. I explored
the
ABS air lines but realized that I'd have to rob a couple banks to afford
it.
Nice stuff, but very pricey.

Harold

I love: "herd" of people, on SO many levels. At least there are drip legs
with valves and filters and oilers EVERYWHERE but the lines are all 3/4"
black pipe. I may tirade about anything other than black pipe but the next
leg we do will be in copper! Quick math: 40 amps, 9600 watts, 9.6kw/hr
$.15/kwh = $1.44/hr
$1.44/hr * 70% duty= $1.008/hr cost for air. Lets say I'm wasting $.40/hr.
$600 = 1500 hours payback. Compressors run 2000 hrs/yr. Leaks cost
$800/yr. Math sound fair if not conservative?