Duane Bozarth

mrcomp_ca wrote:

Good Day All,

Well...I'm taking the plunge and am going to start buying my lumber
from a lumber yard instead of the borg.

I have figured out how to calculate BF, that wasn't so bad. I am
confused as to what lengths and widths of board I can reasonably
handle. I know there are probably many variables and the archives have
been reasonably helpful, but no real answer.

I will have (about to purchase) a 6" jointer with a 45" bed and a 13"
planer. I have a 10" contractor saw and a 10" chop saw.

The lumber yard seems to have 8' - 12' lengths and 12" widths, setting
skill level aside; can my equipment (I guess specifically my jointer)
handle these lengths? I'm thinking I'm going to have to cross cut the
boards to a more manageable length and then joint rip and plane.

Am I heading in the right direction?

Looking to draw on your wisdom, Sean

Sorry for second post, intended to add an additional thought or two...

This has been an ongoing discussion but I personally would recommend the
8" jointer over the 6" if it's at all within your possible budget and
space constraints. The additional width for surface jointing is, imo,
well worth it. Others disagree...

Hardwood is normally random width and depending on specie will vary from
as narrow as 3-4" to as wide as 12" in normal-run stock. Really premium
stuff in some species such as mahogany can occasionally be found in far
wider stock, but that's not the norm.

HTH...