Nick Degidio

I do believe that "most" will be the best you can expect from your setup.

Your idea of creating some additional ramps to help funnel chips and dust
may help, but you will not get to 100% collection.

I've spent (wasted) a lot of time with my unisaw's dust collection issue,
and have settled on "most collected." I would suggest some sort of
over-the-blade guard/collection setup, this has really helped me reduce
airborne dust. I really don't get a build-up in the saw, just seems to fill
areas that don't get good air flow.

"Pat Barber" wrote in message
The new dust collector has been in place a couple
of weeks now and here is what I have found.
(50-763 3HP)

The jointer and planer went as planned and work
wonderful. I get just a tiny bit of "blow back"
from both machines.

I "finally" got around to hooking up to my 12/14"
saw last night. I made my brand new dust door from
MDF and rare earth magnets and that works like a
champ.

The saw is the longest of any of the runs
and I'm using 4" flex hose all the way.(12-15' max)

I hooked it up and hit the start button and sure enough,
it started working. It DID NOT empty the machine and with
all the holes in the saw base, I'm surprised it did anything
at all. I have to come up with a method of closing up some
of the many places air is escaping.

My motor cover is quite large and it is covered in slots
for motor ventilation. The throat plate has two big holes
in it and the plate doesn't(can't) fit very tightly on my
saw.

I also believe I will get rid of more dust if I come up with
a method of directing the dust straight to the dust port. I
plan on building some sort of "ramps" that fit in the cabinet
and that will "funnel" the dust to the dust port.

If I do "nothing" more to the saw, I believe the dust collector
will get "most" of the saw dust after it reaches a certain "level"
in the saw. I don't believe the saw dust will ever get above that
certain point.

I'm curious about how others have faired with table saw dust
collection.

I'm still perplexed about what size pipe I'm using and what I
could do about it.

The new collector has two methods:

A inlet with four 4" holes.

A single inlet with a 8" inlet.

I checked around and 8" pipe is both rare and very
expensive. I found a source of 8" flex but again,
very expensive.

Even if I bite the bullet and get the 8" pipe, that
leaves the problem of how to transition to each machine.

Most of my machines are really geared toward 4" outlets
and that creates more peroblems.

I "believe" the BIG pipe is the better method but because
of my new layout, rigid pipe is a real problem.

I am almost "stuck" with "flex pipe" so I have to make
do with the situation at hand.

I LOVE my new layout but now this pipe thing has got in
the way.

I'll get a few shots tonight of the new DC with the tools
in their current location.