Duane Bozarth

mrcomp_ca wrote:

I have figured out how to calculate BF, that wasn't so bad. I am
confused as to what lengths and widths of board I can reasonably
handle. I know there are probably many variables and the archives have
been reasonably helpful, but no real answer.

I will have (about to purchase) a 6" jointer with a 45" bed and a 13"
planer. I have a 10" contractor saw and a 10" chop saw.

The lumber yard seems to have 8' - 12' lengths and 12" widths, setting
skill level aside; can my equipment (I guess specifically my jointer)
handle these lengths? I'm thinking I'm going to have to cross cut the
boards to a more manageable length and then joint rip and plane.

I will plane first just to reveal surface then lay out the project
making grain choice primary consideration and then utilization of stock
for least waste.

Then cut to length and surface joint one face for and plane to final
thickness.

Then you're ready to joint an edge, rip to width and begin joinery.

Obviously, in general...always room for some variation, but that's a
general approach.

As for equipment, you can easily handle six foot lengths on the
jointer. A supporting table for the chop saw will be extremely useful
as will an outfeed on the saw on occasion.