Shaun

(Andrew Gabriel) wrote:

If the insulation is PVC, then you should schedule a rewire, but
it's not necessarily so urgent. What you should do immediately
is make sure all your light switches are plastic (not metal)
faced and the light fittings are all double insulated.

As someone who has experienced a shock from simultaneously touching a
metal screw retaining a double insulated switch into a metal backbox
that was contacting the live feed, to a metal carpet join strip that I
was standing on in my socks I can confirm it hurts.

Someone ought to provide M3.5 durable plastic screws - but I don't
think they do!

A far more acceptable and viable solution is to install or extend the
RCD to protect the whole house and forget rewiring (unless its rubber)
Of course if you are concerned that loosing all the lights is a
problem then stick a few emergency lights around the place.