mac davis

On Wed, 18 May 2005 11:47:22 -0400, "George" george@least wrote:

"mac davis" wrote in message
.. .
hmm.. I'll have to take some pictures this afternoon... it doesn't seem to

be
leaking resin/sap very much... not nearly as bad as pine, which requires

hand
cleaner later to get the sap off your hands..

This has a fairly thin, kind of waxy feeling bark and pretty tight

grain...
BTW: probably no real relevance, but we got it off of Tamarack Summit..

lol

Just thinking ...SHUT UP ARCH... if you're collecting only softwoods, you're
not collecting the Tamarack we know and love. Perhaps they call western
larch tamarack as well. You're out to the left?

Our eastern variety is as dense as cherry, loaded with resin, and while not
tolerating wet feet, doesn't mind a bit of casual water here and there. If
you were in an area with L laricina, hardwoods wouldn't be too far away.
Mine give a run for the sun with maple and cherry where they have sprouted
on upslopes.

Was the preferred timber for mine lagging in the hard rock days.
http://www.rook.org/earl/bwca/nature.../larixlar.html

thanks for the link George.. looks kinda like it..
we're on the left, for sure..... central Calif.....

This wood was at about 7,000 feet... most hardwood (what little there is in our
area) stops at about 3,000 to 5,000' and mostly pine, fir, etc. above that..

I turned a 9" bowl last night and hit the first sap, but only in a few places on
the outside bark.. probably where branches were trimmed..

LOTS of water, though.. I took the walls down to about 3/8" at 840 rpm and was
getting soaked... not just the tools, but my arm, shirt and wife, who was wood
burning at the bench..
Before I bagged it, I took it up to 1,200 rpm for about 20 minutes and it was
SPRAYING water out of the end grain! Left a line on the floor mats for about 3'
on each side of the lathe..

I posted some pics on ABPW..

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing