Rex B

There's some pretty interesting media available at your local Abrasive
Emporium. I got some stuff a while back that looked like small stars
with a hole in the center. Very dense stuff, 2 bags took two trips to
the truck, $12 total cost. Cuts like a buzzsaw. Wears out tips pretty
quick too.

- -
Rex Burkheimer
WM Automotive
Fort Worth TX

Gunner wrote:
On Thu, 19 May 2005 06:08:09 GMT, "DeepDiver"
wrote:

"Gunner" wrote in message
. ..

Im stripping a Buffalo Forge Co. #18 drill press in preparation for
making Mucho Macho Drill Press #1
(1hp, MT3 spindle, VFD)

Ive used StripEez paint stripper, but some of the old filler will not
come up easily in the corners and crannies. Ive cup brushed where I
could, and still cant get into some of the tight places. The biggest
media I have for the blast cabinet is 40-70 crushed glass and its
taking forever to remove the paint/filler

Will I have better luck with sand?

I would avoid using sand for a number of reasons, silicosis being an
important one. Besides, sand is not particularly aggressive IMO.

Im not concerned about silicosis at this point..I have a 36" x 48"
Trico blast cabinet with the dust collector and Im using it outdoors

I'd be tempted to try "Black Magnum":

http://www.consolidatedstripping.com/pages/6/index.htm

I've never used Black Magnum, but I've been curious about it ever since I
first saw an Ebay listing for the stuff a while back: it looks like good
stuff.

Here is a description of Black Magnum from another distributor's web site:

Quote:
Coal Slag product that is very angular and contains less than 1% free
silica. Black Magnum is available in coarse to extra fine sizes. The
hardness of this material makes it very resistant to material breakdown.

Advantages:
- Does not react with coatings so there is less coating failure
- Does not draw moisture
- After-job cleanup is fast and easy
- Low free silica content

The only reason I haven't bought some yet is because I bought a fairly large
supply of aluminum oxide before I came across the Black Magnum listing.

If you get some of this, let us know how you like it.

- Michael

Im looking for something with some mass to it. If I had enough steel
shot Id try that..but...

These are heavy cast iron castings with the typical shellac type
filler under it.

Ill check locally for the Black Magnum stuff..as Ive got several other
projects that will need something gnarly to blast down to clean metal.

Gunner

for torturing the cat." Gunner