Kaiser wrote:
wrote in message
oups.com...
Hi I've just bought a Makita Ls1013 sliding mitre saw. Supplied

with it
is something called a "Kerf Block" which is semi circular and
supposedly screws just behind the fence in the middle, in line with

the
blade.

It's to stop the back edge of the cut from splintering if you are

doing
really fine work. You will need a new kerf block for each different

angle.
If you need to, use the one supplied for 90 degree cuts only, but

it's not
really necessary to use it at all.

I've always used scrap wood with the workpiece for this, it gives a
much cleaner edge by stopping the breaking / splintering. I gather from
the description that the kerf block would prevent any loss of cutting
cpacity that a bit of scrap would produce.

NT