John

"BigWallop" wrote in message
. uk...

"therebel" wrote in message
what is the recognised way of testing mains water pressure. I am looking
at
having an electric shower fitted and the pressure is affecting my choice.

A web search for the word "Manometer" will show you what's needed. But an
easy
test is placing your thumb over the kitchen sink cold tap, and then slowly
turn
it on. At a certain point you won't be able to hold the pressure back,
and this
shows a good mains water supply pressure. A good mains water supply
pressure is
what's needed for a good electric instant shower.

The next thing you need to find out for an electric instant shower is the
electrical supply routing. A good shower is anything above 8.5kW and mat
need
to be supplied with large cables if the routing demands it.

Hope this helps a little.

Unless you have access to a Mercury Manometer at around thirty feet tall or
a water manometer at around 300 feet I would suggest you use a bourdon gauge
(Dial type) which is fairly easily obtained from a decent plumbers merchant
for around a tenner. However standing pressure is one thing, dynamic
pressure under flow conditions is entirely different as it may be that the
pipework restricts the flow at the outlet point.