PDQ

"FA" wrote in message =
ups.com...
| Hi there,
| I stained my cedar deck last year awefully. Now I like to remove the
| stain (brand name: Sikken) and re-stain the deck board. Since my deck
| is very close to my lawn, I do not want to harm my grass if I use the
| paint remover. I know that sanding the board is the best choise to =
save
| the grass but it require a lot of man power and time. I like to have
| your opinion on what would be the best way to clean my deck stains
| (sanding, paint removal, or ...). Is there any safe paint remover in
| the market or at least something that won't run off to my garden?
|=20
| thanks
|=20

Bin there and done that.

Sikkens is a real PITA to apply and maintain, especially if the deck =
faces South like mine.

1. Go to your local HD and get some eco-friendly stripper (the stuff I =
got smelled like oranges)

2. Spread it liberally over the deck and let it bubble until it stops. =
(I kept re-wetting it till additional water had no effect)

3. Remove the mess with a power washer (be careful not to get any on the =
house)

4. When you get to the point the stain will not come off (some of it =
will be more stubborn than the rest), use a belt sander and 80 grit to =
carefully remove the tuff stuff.
5. When all the deck is done to your satisfaction, go over it once more =
with ~200 grit to smooth off all the nubs that the pressure washer =
caused.

6. If you want the deck to look dry like it does wet, find a =
preservative that soaks into the wood. (There is no stain that will stay =
for any length of time).

--=20
PDQ