Pounds on Wood

"Pat Barber" wrote in message
The new dust collector has been in place a couple
of weeks now and here is what I have found.
(50-763 3HP)

The saw is the longest of any of the runs
and I'm using 4" flex hose all the way.(12-15' max)

That is a very short run. A 3HP DC should suck the chrome right off the ...
well it'll suck a lot.

I hooked it up and hit the start button and sure enough,
it started working. It DID NOT empty the machine and with
all the holes in the saw base, I'm surprised it did anything
at all. I have to come up with a method of closing up some
of the many places air is escaping.

Or, you could just leave it alone. My Unisaw cabinet will collect about 1/3
full of dust, on the side/corner farthest away from the DC port. So what?
It is still collected and not down my pants. It is self-limiting and will
discharge the chips above the limit.

My motor cover is quite large and it is covered in slots
for motor ventilation.

Duct tape on the inside of the louvers is an easy fix, invisible from the
outside. My DC dust door is louvered, and instead of replacing it with a
homade cover I just slapped on some duct tape. Should work fine on your
motor cover too.

The throat plate has two big holes
in it and the plate doesn't(can't) fit very tightly on my
saw.

Leakage there won't matter. A loose throat plate is a problem for other
reasons however.

I also believe I will get rid of more dust if I come up with
a method of directing the dust straight to the dust port. I
plan on building some sort of "ramps" that fit in the cabinet
and that will "funnel" the dust to the dust port.

That will work if the situation really bothers you.

If I do "nothing" more to the saw, I believe the dust collector
will get "most" of the saw dust after it reaches a certain "level"
in the saw. I don't believe the saw dust will ever get above that
certain point.

Exactly. And the problems is?

I'm curious about how others have faired with table saw dust
collection.

The only thing better would be an overhead guard with collection. I will
NOT be adding that.

For perspective, my DC is a Jet 1100, 1.5 HP. My tablesaw is the furthest
from the DC, including, from the saw end, 4' of flex, 8 feet of pipe up the
wall, 20' of pipe along the west wall, 20' of pipe along the north wall, 4'
of pipe to a cyclone, 12' of pipe/flex down the wall and over to the DC, all
4" size. Collection in the saw cabinet is satisfactory. The problem is
dust which never makes it into the cabinet, and that would be the job of an
overhead guard.

--
********
Bill Pounds