Charles Spitzer

"Todd Fatheree" wrote in message
"Swingman" wrote in message
news
You might fare better being your own general contractor, to a point, then
finishing up the job yourself in those areas where you fell your skills

may
be better utilized.

We may, in fact, go this way. Prior to embarking on her current lucrative
position in early childhood development, my wife was a general contractor
for one of the largest building contractors in the country. Her last job
was a 35-story condominium, so I figure we can sub out a garage if that's
the direction we go in.

At $25,000 the "local garage builder" is making money off the work of his
subs in some areas of the process (foundation, framing/cornice, roofing)
that could be in your pocket instead. The process of getting bids from
foundation, framing/cornice and roofing contractors is no different from

the
one you went through getting the bid from the "local garage builder".

You will need an engineered, approved plan for the proposed structure in

any
event. From there it is a relatively simple matter to use that plan as
the
basis for bids from each of the trades involved.

We are in the process of planning a major addition to our house. We have
an
architect coming up with drawings that include a new garage, so the city
will be happy.

BTW, $12,000 does not buy much in building materials these days ... one
of
your first shocks will be for steel and concrete when you go to pour the
foundation, the second will be at the lumber yard.

I'm still trying to get ahold of concrete guys, so I'm curious to see
where
that's going to fall. I priced out the sheathing already. It came to
about
$1000. I also priced attic trusses, which came in at about $2500. Once I
get the concrete cost, I can put the rest together. We'll see how it
comes
out.

todd

figure 3-4/sqft as a starting point, unless you're going to get stamped or
colored concrete, although with the price and shortage of concrete in the
past year, it might be different from when i had a slab put in.