Rex B

Ah, that makes sense.
Thanks for the explanation.

- -
Rex Burkheimer
WM Automotive
Fort Worth TX

DoN. Nichols wrote:
In article , Rex B "" wrote:

Engineman

So the spindle taper is 4.5 MT?? Never heard of such. Fortunately
there is an adapter sleeve down to 3MT included.

Hie the to a copy of _Machinery's Handbook_.

Open to the second on tapers, and in particular to the section
on "ASA tapers". ASA took as their standard, a combination of three
tapers.

B&S for the smallest ones, IIRC,

Morse for the middle ones,

Jarno for the largest ones.

But -- they found a big gap between the MT-4 and the MT-5, so
they (or someone before them) created the MT 4-1/2.

IIRC, the taper per inch is precisely the same as either the
MT-4 or the MT-5 -- unlike all other Morse tapers, none of which
precisely match each other.

It turns out to be a good size feeding into a 1-3/8" spindle
bore, with an adaptor for 5C collets. I've got it on my 12x24" Clausing
lathe.

Enjoy,
DoN.