trainfan1

George wrote:

Recheck The motor, and that would be the inside wiring, not just the
nameplate. Even our old R/I was wired 220, but it was capable of 110. Not
that _I_ would ever do it, but some people have "made do" when they
controlled both genders of plug.

Most basements, if wired to code, were grounded through the conduit, though
a lot of folks, as you can tell, have done their own wiring. Think it's
9.95 for a polarity/continuity/ground checker at most home stores. Well
worth it, because there are often hidden transitions to non-metallic pipe
where plumbing has been repaired or moved.

Just remember, those $9.95 checkers cannot detect neutral switched with
ground. This can be done by visual only.

Rob