George E. Cawthon

Todd Fatheree wrote:
I've built a 10x10 shed in the past where the framing was, perhaps, not
particular difficult and not necessarily critical that it be absolutely
correct. However, I'm contemplating a new garage/shop and am trying to
convince myself that I can either handle or not handle (with help) the
framing. Providing motivation for the "I can handle this" side is the fact
that I just received a quote from a local garage builder to do it to the
tune of just over $25,000. Now, I understand that design-wise, framing the
walls and roof isn't exactly rocket science, but there's certainly a right
way to do it. Like most of us here to one degree or another, I'm reasonably
handy and I enjoy a challenge and the satisfaction of building something on
my own. Plus, I figure I can build the thing for probably half of what the
garage guy wants, and $12,000 buys a lot of wood.

So, with that said, does anyone have a recommendation for a book or other
resource that discusses framing a structure such as this?

todd

There are probably a bunch of books but you might
want to look at Construction Manual: Rough
Carpentry and Construction Manual Finish Carpentry
by T.W. Love. Craftsman Book Company.

Have you every looked at houses as they are being
built? If you have, you wouldn't have any fears
of building a better product with your current
experience. BTW, framing is the cheapest part of
the building. You could always have the building
framed and then do the other parts yourself.
Labor cost for framing a $25,000 garage should be
between $2000 and $2500 (not counting materials)