NSM

wrote in message
oups.com...

In your opinion, did I come up with a solution or did I make a mess
waiting to happen ?

You do what it takes. I recall a popular stereo system which used a single
triode pentode as the output amplifier for each channel. After a few months
use the tubes increased in gain (normal) and started to oscillate at a
supersonic frequency, burning up the output transformers (abnormal). I used
to solder a tin shield around the bottom half of the tube base and replace
the transformers which always seemed to fix them for good. I also contacted
the maker and alerted them to the problem.