Dr. Hardcrab

"Edwin Pawlowski" wrote in message
. ..

"Ken Hall" wrote in message

Question 1:
I read you should replace the cheesy plastic drain cock with a ball
valve so you can get full flow when draining the heater. But, there's
some kind of safety cover over the drain cock that prevents putting
ball valves (which are larger) on them. So, if you can't do it, why
is it recommended?

Because it is a good idea if done properly. Sounds like they don't want
you to in this case.

Question 2:
This is a self-cleaning unit. Do you drain self cleaning units? Is
so, doesn't that mean they're not self cleaning?

This is probably the reason they don't want you to change the valves. I
have no idea how well this works.

Question 3:
Sure enough when he cracked open one of the connections a
lot more water drained out. Why does a connection at the heater
have to be opened to get it to drain completely?

Vacuum. Put a straw in a glass of water. Put your finger over the end
and lift it out. Same thing with the heater. If air is not allowed in,
the water cannot get out.

You can open the relief valve to make it drain quicker IF you are draining
one you are going to replace. I would advise you NOT to open the relief
valve on one that you are just draining (for clean-out). I have seen too
many of them that do not seat (or seal) properly once this has been done and
then you end up with an annoying drip.