As a general contractor, I watch this all the time. I would say that
the average homeowner makes a complete mess out of this type of
project, stresses out the marriage to the point of breaking, and comes
out with a project he isn't satisfied with about 90% of the time.

BTW, $12,000 does not buy much in building materials these days ...

one of
your first shocks will be for steel and concrete when you go to pour
the
foundation, the second will be at the lumber yard.

Boy, you got that right. Doing this as long as I have, prices still
catch me off guard every once in a while. And I cannot wait to hear
the stories of how your moonlighting carpenters and any other trades
work out. That should be about 50/50 if you are lucky. I pay
those guys as much as $20 and hour on the weekend and the same for
evening IF I need them, and they are hit and miss if they show. Then
their work is hit and miss because they are tired from work, and on the
weekends they are fighting with their wives.

And obviously you aren't worried about warranty. If you were, you
wouldn't be talking to the moonlight guys. Try to get the sympathy of
the lead carpenter when your windows don't fit, the front door isn't
right, and the overhead door isn't framed correctly when "hey dude, I
asked you about this" is about the only response they seem to know.
This may not bother you at the time since until it is really screwed
up, you will not have known your mistake either. Now you WILL be a
contractor: you pay your guys to do it right, then pay them to tear it
out and fix it. Cool.

I am in South Texas, and none of mine/our carpenters work for $10 - $15
bucks unless they are just starting. Just starting = less
experience/no tools. Yet when I ask, they seem to have more
qualifications than any one I have ever talked to...

I love coming in after one of these projects gets going then hits the
wall. I usually get one to two of these television inspired
contractors that call me and I can make a pretty good lick cleaning
these up. For some reason, most contractors won't touch a project that
is already all messed up. Me? I say charge enough to make it worth
while.

Make a contractor in your neighborhood happy. Learn to dig a
foundation and lay in the steel to city code. Learn to frame, buy
wood, run electrical, put up siding, hang windows and all that other
stuff with your friends and some thirsty construction workers that will
work for crap as long as the beer is cold.

"Sorry Mr. Homeowner, I did what was on your plans" or "what we talked
about" will soon be the mantra of all working there. Oh yeah, and
don't forget the number of your shadetree, well wishing, after hours
buddies that will disappear after about the third Saturday...

And the people that will blame their lack of ability to complete their
end of the job on someone else will appall you. Don't forget your job
barricades, your other safety equipment, and to notify your insurance
company of your impending step. I have found that some insurance
companies REFUSE (come on flames... remember, I am not the insurance
company... call your agent and tear his ass up) to insure a structure
of this size NOT professionally built.

I have seen a scarce few homeowner garages and rooms that come out
great and are every bit as well put together as any contractor would.
That is extremely rare. Most of those folks tell me they would never
do it again.

Remember, you are not building in a bookcase, moving some walls are
closing in your garage or finishing out your basement. If you do it
yourself, plan the project to cost double what YOU think it will cost,
take twice as long, and realize how much time, effort and money you
have put into this type of thing.

If you are really interested in this endeavor, have the contractor give
you a price for the shell, stopping at what you and your buddies can
do. Get with your city and see how long your permit is valid, and see
if you can finish up the project in that amount of time. In my town as
with many others you cannot pull a final permit unless all required
trades have finals and the structure meets all State, City and local
codes. Don't forget to have the engineer give you a stamped letter of
inspection before and after pouring.

Learn your local code about wind bracing. Attaching sole plates. New
electrical service to the garage? Do you need a new 200 amp box on the
house since your grandfather exemption is now no longer valid with your
new service request? Plywood stamp up or down on the decking? How
much roof venting is needed to satisfy the shingle manufacturer so they
will stand by the warranty? How is that roof detail handled? Do I
need storm installation on the shingles or for a standard ice detail?
How many coats of paint on that type of siding?

Come to think of it, I say jump in. Being a contractor is easy. I
have been in construction for about 30 years, and
I am down to learning about one new thing a day. I must be closing in
on the end of the learning curve.

Other than that, good luck! Don't lose your contractor's name! And
remember... have fun and learn!

Robert