Swingman

"Todd Fatheree" wrote in message
I've built a 10x10 shed in the past where the framing was, perhaps, not
particular difficult and not necessarily critical that it be absolutely
correct. However, I'm contemplating a new garage/shop and am trying to
convince myself that I can either handle or not handle (with help) the
framing. Providing motivation for the "I can handle this" side is the

fact
that I just received a quote from a local garage builder to do it to the
tune of just over $25,000. Now, I understand that design-wise, framing

the
walls and roof isn't exactly rocket science, but there's certainly a right
way to do it. Like most of us here to one degree or another, I'm

reasonably
handy and I enjoy a challenge and the satisfaction of building something

on
my own. Plus, I figure I can build the thing for probably half of what

the
garage guy wants, and $12,000 buys a lot of wood.

You might fare better being your own general contractor, to a point, then
finishing up the job yourself in those areas where you fell your skills may
be better utilized.

At $25,000 the "local garage builder" is making money off the work of his
subs in some areas of the process (foundation, framing/cornice, roofing)
that could be in your pocket instead. The process of getting bids from
foundation, framing/cornice and roofing contractors is no different from the
one you went through getting the bid from the "local garage builder".

You will need an engineered, approved plan for the proposed structure in any
event. From there it is a relatively simple matter to use that plan as the
basis for bids from each of the trades involved.

BTW, $12,000 does not buy much in building materials these days ... one of
your first shocks will be for steel and concrete when you go to pour the
foundation, the second will be at the lumber yard.

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 5/14/05