Prometheus

On 16 May 2005 08:38:57 -0700, wrote:

I'm new to woodworking, and thought I'd try here for advice first.

I just inherited my grandfather's tools, and one of them is an old
Uniswaw. It's down in my basement now, and I would like to hook it up,
but all the outlets down there are two-prongers and the saw is
obviously three.

Ok, you just got a Unisaw for nothing. That saved you about $1500
that you can use to change the $.39 outlet. Why damage the tool when
it only takes about 5 minutes to change the outlet out?

If I were to run a piece of wire from the cabinet of the saw over to
one of the exposed water pipes, would that be enough grounding for me
to be able to safely cut-off the third prong?

See above, get a grounded outlet, and one of those 6" green wires to
ground the outlet to the inside of the electrial box.

Also, if this is safe, how big a wire should I run? (The saw is 110
volts, BTW)

Thanks,
Greg