DoN. Nichols

In article ,
Mike Henry wrote:
"Chuck Sherwood" wrote in message
Was wondering if there is product on the market that
would have a 2" grinding weel, may be 6x12" grinding

Sanborn surface grinder. Not in business anymore
but used ones are around.

That would be the Sanford grinder, but I think it has a wheel closer to 4"
otr 5" and a 4x6" work envelope or so.

The max wheel diameter is 4", based on the shatter shield.

It might work with a wheel down to 2", but the spindle speed
would be wrong for that size.

Downfeed is calibrated in 0.0005" increments.

The 4x6" work envelope is correct.

Maybe DoN Nichols will respond - I'm pretty sure he's got one.

Yep. I'm there above.

Another consideration is coolant. The Sanford came with either
an electromagnetic chuck (with the power supply in the base), or a
permanent magnet chuck.

The manual *strongly* warns against using the EM chuck with
coolant, and having examined the wiring design in the base, I have to
agree. It would be better with a separate power supply, with proper
isolation between the AC line and the power to the chuck.

Of course, the PM chuck offers no such hazards with coolant, if
you rip out the power supply in the base, or at least seal off the hole
in which the chuck power connector is mounted.

And I think that you will want to use coolant when grinding
accordion reeds, to avoid drawing the temper. The mag chuck helps a lot
as a heatsink, but coolant is better under the circumstances.

Good Luck,
DoN.
--
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564