jakdedert

"James Sweet" wrote in message
news:nkDhe.6615$Y12.4627@trnddc09...

"Sam Goldwasser" wrote in message
"cnctut" writes:

spongehead--

A carb swap may solve your problem if off a similair 3.5 engine--too
much work though. You mentioned your throttle adjustment was
frozen--you might try advancing the control wire (pliers might help)
toward a faster run postion to get away from slow idle.

If this doesn't work--carb cleaner would be my next attempt at solving
the problem. Squirt it every where (in and around the carb.)

Lastly, as your time and parts cost creep higher and higher--don't
forget a new 3.5HP mower is only $99. ;-))

What fun is that? ;-)

Not to mention the new ones are such crap, I mean come on, plastic carbs??
The old stuff was made so much better.

No doubt....

On a different subject; the last time I had occasion to check the Repair FAQ
regarding a lawnmower issue, (I had a shear key problem which was easily
fixed with the info contained there. Thanks, Sam) I noticed a very
interesting dialogue concerning the relative merits of Briggs and Tecumseh
small engines.

Being how it's much too late (probably) to get my $.02 in the FAQ, I thought
I'd post my opinion he

IME, Briggs motors are much more 'finicky' for starting and maintenance, but
they last longer and use much less gas and oil.

The Tecumsehs (I have two of those, and one Briggs & Stratton) start much
easier, although that's probably due to the priming bulb which my Briggs
does not have. They start using oil right out of the box, however. I have
to check and add oil on almost every use. My Eager1 uses almost twice as
much fuel to mow the same yard as my older Briggs of the same horsepower and
cut width. I almost never have to add oil to the Briggs in an entire
season.

Given the greater oil and gas consumption, I assume that the Tecumsehs are
emitting considerably more pollutants per hour of use. The consumables only
add a negligible amount to my lawn-care costs every year; but multiplied by
(however many millions) of them out there.....

Any thoughts?

jak